B.H. Whipple Federal Building, GSA
1969 government building gets a comprehensive modernization
Originally constructed in the 1969, the 700,000-SF Whipple Building is home to 13 government agencies, including Veterans Affairs, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Department of Defense, and the Department of Homeland Security. The multi-phase renovation provides a complete facility modernization and systems upgrade. The renovation reconfigures interior workspaces for individual agencies, adds shared common amenities, replaces the exterior curtain wall, improves security, and updates all mechanical, plumbing, fire-protection, and electrical systems.
The Whipple Building enhances energy performance through efficient space planning, new technology, and restorative site planning. Energy-reducing technology includes a geothermal system integrate into the building’s heating and cooling systems, solar panels to support the building’s hot water requirements, roof-mounted photovoltaic panels for an electric source, electric car charging stations, LED lighting, and electronic energy optimization systems to ensure technology achieves core priorities.
Fort Snelling, Minnesota
Awards & Recognition
- 2016 U.S. General Services Administration GSA Design Award for Engineering
- 2016 ASHRAE Technology Honorable Mention, Existing Commercial Building
- 2016 IFMA Minneapolis/St. Paul Chapter, Green Initiative Award of Excellence
- 2015 U.S. Department of Energy and the Federal Interagency Energy Management Task Force, Federal Energy and Water Management Award
- 2015 Regional ASHRAE Technology Award, Existing Commercial Building
- 2015 Finance & Commerce Magazine, Top Project of 2014
- 2015 IES/IIDA Regional Energy & Environment Award for Lighting Design
- 2015 IES/IIDA Section Energy & Environment Award for Lighting Design